Saturday, February 7, 2009

Robot Lovin

Sorry for the random posts at random times. Lately I've been reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick and I was just dragged through 7 hours of Japanese dramas with my girlfriend. The weirdest thing about this all is that my girlfriends drama which seems to follow a fairly standard Japanese love story plot. However, this was no ordinary drama only because the male who is of course the perfect male is in fact a robot, which magically learns to defy its programming and learns to love.

Because of the book and the cheesy but decently written drama, my mind seems to be on android overload. Both tend to bring up the ideas of life and love, shamelessly ripping at one's emotions (especially female ones). What really constitutes life? In both of my sources for inspiration life seems to be less black and white, and more gray. While the androids are technically mere pieces of human creation, they too seem to be on the border of life. Their self awareness pushes the idea that they are indeed living and basically human, but their construction seems to work against them. However, who are we to judge life? Humanity in both cases seems to judge the very existence of a human in anything we create.

Its way too late to think about these ideas more and I really should probably go read more of my android literature, so I bid you farewell. Go watch Zettai Kareshi if you want a good cry or something.

No comments: