Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Life is But a Dream (WIP)

Lately I haven't been able to sleep much. I have no idea why. My first theory was that my friend Alicia infected me with her laziness, but I figure that laziness is not a real disease, and thus cannot be transferred. My second thought was that I may have some sort of insomnia, but after reading the typical causes (anxiety, stress, schizophrenia, mania (bipolar disorder), and depression) it seemed that I was most likely not an insomniac. Though I am slightly crazy, I doubt that I can be considered schizophrenic or bipolar. However, no negative aspect is completely negative as this lack of sleep, or more like gain in awakeness has let me think of many stranger things in my partially delirious, sleep deprived mind. Though most of the thoughts are pretty random and have basically no point, I have been thinking a lot about existence and lucid dreams.

Lucid dreams are dreams in which the dreamer is in fact aware of what is occurring and often can have some influence on the dream. Supposedly these dreams are usually incredibly realistic and can even cause one to be deceived into believing its a reality. With this in mind I began to think about life in general. I mean what is life? Could this all be some sort of illusion like a lucid dream? Of course one could argue that this is impossible as there are many different individuals in this dream. I thought of a few different scenarios where this could be true though.

Take for instance the Tom Cruise Vanilla Sky scenario which not only shows us that Tom Cruise was a pretty damn good actor before his Scientology craziness, but also that in his lucid dream state set upon him by a cryogenic company in a futuristic world makes the world seem incredibly real. The people in his dream even believe they are real. So could we all be figments of some random person's imagination? Though this could be incredibly interesting to pursue, I doubt this could be true. We are a much to diverse world for one man and his mind. There is always a chance for this to be true if a person were in fact one with many different personalities, but still very implausible. These thoughts of course led me to theories more like The Matrix.

The Matrix of course had a sort of illusion like a lucid dream set up. They had a giant network of human batteries hooked to a central computer system that projected a sort of dream into one's mind to create a new reality. The only flaw in this logic is that we lack the flying people/random transforming agents. But what if our reality is in fact a similar creation? What if we are all sleeping and our dreams are projecting into some sort of giant dream catcher that drives us to share dreams with others who are dreaming. We only remember our dreams because when we wake up for those six hours or so every night, we are in fact experiencing a drugged up reality where we are in fact adapting to drugs used on us to keep us as batteries or whatever else some alien force or magical being is using us for? Or what if we are mere spiritual beings floating in infinite space projecting our thoughts to a giant spiritual being, our "world", which then translates our thoughts and such into the rules of the world? ARE WE MERELY FLOATING BLOBS PLAYING A GIANT MMORPG?!?!?!? If this were the case, so many new questions would arise. Like do we have levels like in World of Warcraft and how the hell do you get to level 70?

I will now stop my crazy thought post, but will probably follow up on this in a more focused manner once all my thoughts begin to clear up. I hope you enjoys a tired man's rant on life as a dream.

1 comment:

bcope said...

Entertaining post. Wasn't it descartes who said I think therefore I am. That was his solution to the question you ask. This is an age-old question. What exactly is reality? And how do we know that we are real, that we exist? I'm not much of a philosopher myself, but I would encourage you to consider an intro to Philo course next year wherever you end up.

Now I need to go rent Vanilla Sky to see if Tom Cruise can actually act as you claim.